WWE Women's Championship (1956–2010)
The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (January 2012)
The World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Women's Championship was an official championship in World Wrestling Entertainment fought for by divas. The title was unified with the WWE Diva's Championship.
|WWE Women's Championship|
|Date established||September 18, 1956|
|Date retired||September 19, 2010|
The WWE Women's Championship has descended from the National Wrestling Alliance World Women's Championship when The Fabulous Moolah became champion and held the title close to 30 years. The Title became inactive in 1990 when Rockin' Robin Vacated the Title after departing from the WWF. In 1993 Alundra Blayze won the Title after Winning a Tournament. However the Title became Inactive after Alundra Blayze dropped the Title into a Garbage Can live on WCW Monday Nitro this incident forced her to give up the title.
The WWE Women's Championship was then reactivated in September 1998 when Jacqueline Moore won a match against Sable.
Currently Michelle McCool, Mickie James, Melina Perez and Beth Phoenix are the only divas in the history of the WWE to hold both the WWE Women's Championship and WWE Divas Championship.
The final champion was Layla El who defeated Beth Phoenix in a two-on-one handicap match with Michelle McCool on Smackdown and McCool self-proclaimed herself as the co-Women's Champion. The title was unified with the WWE Diva's Championship on September 19, 2010 and retired.
- ↑ "Mickie's third Reign". WWE.com. Archived from the original on 2007-10-30. Retrieved 2007-10-23.
- ↑ "WWE "Women's Championship" | Fabulous Moolah | 09/18/1956 - 07/23/1984". Archived from the original on 2011-12-31. Retrieved 2010-03-24.
- ↑ "History of the Women's Championship". Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- ↑ "History of the Divas Championship". Retrieved 2009-11-09.
- ↑ The Fabulous Moolah technically became the inaugural WWF Women's Champion in 1984, but as per WWE's official title history, she became the inaugural champion in 1956 when she won the NWA World Women's Championship.
- ↑ The Fabulous Moolah technically has the most reigns at eight, but the WWE does not recognize title changes from 1956 until 1984. As officially recognized by WWE, Moolah only has four reigns and Trish Stratus has the most reigns at seven.
- ↑ As per WWE's official title history. The Fabulous Moolah's real consecutive number of days as champion is 3,651 days, which is still the longest reign. Moolah first lost the championship in 1966, but WWE does not recognize title changes from 1956 until 1984.