|This page is a policy on the Simple English Wikipedia.|
Many people agree with it. They see it as a standard idea that all users should normally follow. When changing this page (except for minor errors like typos), please check that other people agree with your changes. Use the talk page when you are not sure or when you want to suggest a change.
- This is not the place to request oversight. Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of the oversighters privately for help. Do NOT post oversight requests on-wiki.
Page revisions can be hidden or removed from the public history so they can only be seen by other oversighters, stewards and developers. The right is a sensitive one, and removes private data that can be legally problematic (examples are found below).
Oversight is about sensitive topics, about removing personal information, or information that damages the reputation of an editor. For this reason, the reporting should be done outside this wiki, for example by sending an E-Mail. The safest way is to send a mail to email@example.com. This mailing list is read by all local oversighters. It is also possible to directly contact an oversighter, they are listed below.
Under no circumstances should you put a request for oversight on-wiki - This will only make more work for the oversighters (as this page will need to be removed as well).
- From m:Oversight
This feature is approved for use in four cases:
- Removal of non-public personal information such as phone numbers, home addresses, workplaces or identities of pseudonymous or anonymous individuals who have not made their identity public, or of public individuals who have not made that personal information public.
- Removal of potentially libellous information either: a) on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel or b) when the case is clear, and there is no editorial reason to keep the revision.
- Removal of copyright violations on the advice of Wikimedia Foundation counsel.
- Hiding of blatant attack names on automated lists and logs, where this does not disrupt edit histories. A blatant attack is one obviously intended to denigrate, threaten, libel, insult, or harass someone.
There are two types of oversight-level removal. Edits needing oversight are hidden through Special:RevisionDelete, and can be seen and/or restored by any oversighter. The old method was through Special:HideRevision, which no longer works; edits hidden using the old method were permanently removed from public logs, and could only be restored by system administrators.
The hiding of revisions is logged privately, visible only to other oversight users in the Suppression log. The log lists who made the removal, when, from which page, and a provided comment. The contents may be reviewed by those with oversight rights, though the originally stated intention was that this will only be available for a limited time period.
Sometimes there is no local oversighter available. In this case, the stewards are allowed to help out. They should wait at least 15 minutes before doing it. Stewards are always available on the Libera.chat IRC network in the channel #wikimedia-stewards .
Users with oversight
- The technical list can be found at Special:ListUsers/oversight.
|Atlantic Standard Time Zone||08:00 - 24:00 AST||E-Mail preferred, often IRC|
|Eastern Standard Time||Varies||Always per email, sometimes IRC|
|Central European Summer Time||Often about 21.00 to midnight||E-Mail preferred, sometimes on IRC.|
|Western Indonesia Time||22:00–14:00||Both email and IRC are OK|
|Australian Eastern Standard Time||Usually 7:00-13:00||Always per email, often IRC|
Do NOT post oversight requests on the wiki. Always use email or private communication for oversight requests.
Oversighters are elected by the community via a request for oversightship. Per Foundation policy, a user must have at least 25 supports and a 70% consensus to be elected.