This is the place to ask any questions you have about the Simple English Wikipedia. Any general discussions or anything of community interest is also appropriate here.
You might also find an answer on Wikipedia:Useful, a listing of helpful pages.
You may reply to any section below by clicking the "change this page" link, or add a new discussion section to this page. Please sign and date your post (by typing ~~~~). Please add new topics to the bottom of this page.
Please note that old discussions on this page are archived periodically. If you do not find a discussion here, please look in the archives. Note that you should not change the archives, so if something that has been archived needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Some of the language used on this page can be complicated. This is because it is used by editors to talk to one another, so sometimes we forget. Please leave us a note if you are finding what we are saying too hard to read.
|Are you in the right place?
Wiki Loves Women South Asia 2021Edit
Wiki Loves Women South Asia is back with the 2021 edition. Join us to minify gender gaps and enrich Wikipedia with more diversity. Happening from 1 September - 30 September, Wiki Loves Women South Asia welcomes the articles created on gender gap theme. This year we will focus on women's empowerment and gender discrimination related topics.
We warmly invite you to help organize or participate in the competition in your community. You can learn more about the scope and the prizes at the project page.
Wiki Loves Women Team
10:42, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
Perhaps we could write or expand articles about erased and underexposed female scientists, like Emily Noether, Cecilia Payne, Rosalind Franklin, Anna Selving, Grace Hopper, Matilda Gage, the Matilda Effect and so on. The Smithsonian could be a good source. Darkfrog24 (talk) 00:13, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- @Darkfrog24: Guess so. I had a different idea, but this is probably better. I was thinking revolutionaries but... ehhh. Also, is there another website that has information like the Smithsonian? Articles need more than one source. -- Elytrian (contact) 08:07, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- Ha ha. I'm sure we can find one or two. Generally, I find the best articles have books in them.
- Your mention of revolutionaries springs another idea. Jason Porath (who is not a historian) wrote a book called Rejected Princesses about women who wouldn't make good Disney movies. There were lots of scientists and revolutionaries of all sorts in there, from all over the world. I don't think RP itself would be a reliable source, but Porath cites his own sources very well if I remember. We could easily mine that for scientists, revolutionaries and focus on Asian women all we want. In fact, that's how I learned about
Anna SelvingMary Anning:  He has more badass drawings too. Darkfrog24 (talk) 12:39, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- @Darkfrog24: Now I see why WLWSA exists. Look at the red link ratio of women to men in the Matilda effect page, even though its for women! Also, could you help me simplify it? Not very good at that... ~~ Elytrian (contact) 08:14, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
@Anthere, MdsShakil: I clicked the link and read the project page. First off, nice page. Second off, it looks like this event is about writing articles on Wikipedias in South Asian languages, not writing articles here on Simple about South Asian topics. Is that correct? If so, is there a way for those of us who do not speak South Asian languages to support this event, even if we can't participate as contestants? Darkfrog24 (talk) 22:27, 2 August 2021 (UTC)
- @Darkfrog24 Hello all, We do not mean South Asian languages that originated in South Asia, we mean the languages that are used in this region. English is one of the most important languages in South Asia, Simple English is no exception!
- We warmly welcome you to join this contest. --MdsShakil (talk) 05:55, 3 August 2021 (UTC)
Requirements for CU/OSEdit
FYI I updated Wikipedia:Criteria for adminship to reflect that the latest m:Access to nonpublic personal data policy does not require users to identify to the foundation, but rather just sign the policy - I hope others consider this a technical update to reflect the latest global policies and not a change in the intention, but posting here so that it can be more widely seen - Special:Diff/7663840 --DannyS712 (talk) 04:29, 17 July 2021 (UTC)
New WikiProject! (WikiProject History)Edit
Hello world!, I'm happy to announce the creation of the SimpleWikiProject History! The scope is quite obvious, as implied by the name. I intend to not abandon this project and expand it over time. So, if you are interested, join WikiProject History!Space chinedu (talk) 05:26, 18 July 2021 (UTC)
New WikiProject! (WikiProject Architecture)Edit
Hello world!, I'm happy to announce the creation of the SimpleWikiProject Architecture! The scope is quite obvious, as implied by the name. I intend to not abandon this project and expand it over time. So, if you are interested, join. I also intend to start up other WikiProjects that have been abandoned. So I say to all that see this to start joining a project so together as a team each part of Simple Wikipedia will grow. We are the ones that will make this wikipedia as good as the main one. The WikiProjects also foster unity and togetherness. It's like a community inside a community a club for anyone to join and feel free to express their ideas and together we can grow limitlessly in knowledge. I end this speech with one thing divided we fall but together in a WikiProject and WikiProjects working together we can achieve amazing things. Thank you for reading to the end and I am proud to be a Wikipedian and I will revive all WikiProjects so why don't you try one today. WikiProject History!Space chinedu (talk) 13:08, 18 July 2021 (UTC)
Rename a categoryEdit
- You scroll to the top of the page and click on the little white star next to "View history." Darkfrog24 (talk) 17:32, 20 July 2021 (UTC)
- Thanks. now I remember a discussion a few years back, where I unsuccessfully tried to convince people to use English instead of an icon. how in the world people are supposed to know what a white star means is beyond me. I learned English in school; not Iconish. Expect me back here in a couple years asking the same question about how to put things on my watchlist.Kdammers (talk) 07:24, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
- @Kdammers: There's another way to do it that's a bit more complicated, but maybe you could remember it better. Edit the page you want to watch, then click the box next to "Watch this page", then save the page without making any changes (unless there are changes you want to make). That will add the page to your watchlist. --Auntof6 (talk) 08:54, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
Categories about mass murderEdit
Category:Massacres in the United States is similar to Category:Mass murder in the United States. The only difference I know is that massacres in war are not necessarily called mass murder. For example, maybe Penn's Creek Massacre and Lawrence massacre do not belong in mass murder but that should be discussed.
But other than that, what is the difference? There are a lot of mass shootings by American civilians that are in the massacre category. Even Columbine High School massacre. So please define what the difference is, for else it is hard to find articles by looking in a category. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 17:32, 20 July 2021 (UTC)
Some birds don't fly..Edit
...Because they swim, or run fast. Anyway, after a lot of work has been put into the Bird article, I have decided to make it a good article. Congrats to all who contributed, and helped make this happen. --Eptalon (talk) 21:17, 22 July 2021 (UTC)
Hello all, I have taken the liberty, and promoted Neptune to good article, it went a long way since it was proposed for GA. Congratulations to all those who helped. Note: i have removed the template to use the same date format throughout. There are a few different ways to specify dates in English. Requiring that only one is used throughout is a nice to have, but doesn't limit the article in any way....--Eptalon (talk) 10:06, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
- So, thank you so much for promotion. I'm going to make the article VGA soon. Are there any rules that says after what time it takes to raise the status of an article? Frontfrog (talk) 18:56, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
Yellow demoted from VGAEdit
Hello, after long discussions (and the article not really changing much any more in the last two months), I have demoted the article Yellow (song) to good article. The main issue (apart form needing an update/completeness, which I can't judge) is that the linked templates have many red-links, and red-links are a no-go for VGAs. Completeness/redlinks are not that much of an issue with good article, so it's a logical step to demote...--Eptalon (talk) 10:11, 24 July 2021 (UTC)
Way to see RfDs voted in?Edit
- Hi @Fixing26 You would have to go through your recent changes. I am not sure of any other way to do it as they do not have tags. Perhaps one of the admins might be able to pull a list using AWB. PDLTalk to me!OMG, What have I done? (Pronouns: He, him, his) 20:11, 30 July 2021 (UTC)
- @Fixing26: Yeah, if you want, I could run all past RFDs through AWB looking for any where your user name appears. I could do that later on today, or sometime this weekend if that would work and no one gets to it before I do. Would that work? --Auntof6 (talk) 20:48, 30 July 2021 (UTC)
Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting CommitteeEdit
Movement Strategy announces the Call for Candidates for the Movement Charter Drafting Committee. The Call opens August 2, 2021 and closes September 1, 2021.
This Committee will have around 15 members. It is expected to represent diversity in the Movement. Diversity includes gender, language, geography, and experience. This comprises participation in projects, affiliates, and the Wikimedia Foundation. You can read the full announcement here.
Will you help move Wikimedia forward in this important role? Submit your candidacy starting from next week here. Please contact strategy2030wikimedia.org with questions. Best, Zuz (WMF) (talk) 13:27, 31 July 2021 (UTC)
Board Elections Postponed Until August 18thEdit
As you know, the Board election was due to open on August 4th. Due to some technical issues with SecurePoll, the election must be delayed by two weeks. This means we plan to launch the election on August 18th, which is the day after Wikimania concludes.
For information on the technical issues, you can see the Phabricator ticket here.
You can also read this announcement in other languages here.
We are truly sorry for this delay and hope that we will get back on schedule on August 18th. We are in touch with the Elections Committee and the candidates to coordinate next steps. We will update the Board election Talk page and this channel as we know more. Best, Zuz (WMF) (talk) 15:15, 3 August 2021 (UTC)