William Joseph Burns
William Joseph Burns (born April 11, 1956) is an American politician. Burns is the 8th Director of the Central Intelligence Agency since March 19, 2021 during the Joe Biden administration. He was President of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. He was United States Deputy Secretary of State from 2011 to 2014.
He was Ambassador of the United States to Jordan from 1998 to 2001, Assistant Secretary of State for Near East Affairs from 2001 to 2005, Ambassador of the United States to the Russian Federation from 2005 to 2008, and Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs from 2008 to 2011.
- "Ambassador William J. Burns Named Next Carnegie President". National Endowment for Democracy (NEFD). 28 October 2014. Archived from the original on January 11, 2021. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "Career Ambassadors - Principal Officers - People - Department History - Office of the Historian". history.state.gov. Archived from the original on July 12, 2011. Retrieved March 12, 2020.
- "Biden Names Career Diplomat William J. Burns As Nominee For CIA Director". Huffington Post. Archived from the original on January 11, 2021. Retrieved January 11, 2021.
- CNN, Jeremy Herb. "Senate confirms William Burns to be next CIA director after Cruz lifts hold". CNN. Retrieved 2021-03-18.
- "Biography of William J. Burns". United States Department of State. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- United States Embassy in Moscow: Biography of the Ambassador