ethnic group of West Africa(Redirected from Yoruba)
Kwara State drummers
|ca. 38 million|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Nigeria 35 million (2012)|
|Benin||1.2 million (2012)|
|Côte d'Ivoire||0.1 million|
|North America||0.2 million|
|Yoruba, Yoruboid languages|
|Islam (ca. 50%), Christianity, traditional religion.|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Bini, Nupe, Igala, Itsekiri, Ebira|
- Nigeria at CIA World Factbook: "Yoruba 21%" out of a population of 170.1 million (2012 estimate)
- Benin at CIA World Factbook: "Yoruba and related 12.3%" out of a population of 9.6 million (2012 estimate)
- Joshuaproject.net "The exactness of numbers presented here can be misleading. Numbers can vary by several percentage points or more."
- mostly in the United States; Joshuaproject.net estimates 186,000 in the US. About 3,000 in Canada: "Ethnic origins, 2006 counts, for Canada, provinces and territories". bottom: Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2010-04-04.. In Canada, 19,520 identified as Nigerian and 61,430 as Canadians.
- Mostly in the UK ( Joshuaproject.net estimates 94,000), about 6,000 in Greece.
- "Nigeria Human Rights Report - Freedom of Religion". bottom. "Many southern ethnic groups were predominantly Christian, although the Yoruba were approximately 50 percent Muslim."