1987 Giro d'Italia
The 1987 Giro d'Italia was the 70th edition of the race. It began on 21 May with a 4 km (2.5 mi) prologue in San Remo. It concluded on 13 June with a 32 km (19.9 mi) individual time trial in Saint-Vincent. It was a total of 180 riders from 20 teams entered the 22-stage. The distance for the race was 3,915 km (2,433 mi). It was won by Irishman Stephen Roche of the Carrera Jeans–Vagabond team. British rider Robert Millar and Dutchman Erik Breukink were became second and third positions respectively.
In addition to the general classification, Roche also won the combination classification. In the other race classifications, Johan van der Velde of Gis Gelati–Jollyscarpe won the points classification and Robert Millar of Panasonic–Isostar took the mountains classification green jersey. Selca–Conti's Roberto Conti completed the Giro as the best neo-professional in the general classification. It finished fifteenth overall. Panasonic–Isostar finished as the winners of the team classification. It ranks each of the twenty teams contesting the race by lowest growing time.
- ↑ "Three Hungarian Cyclists Compete in Giro d'Italia". Hungary Today. 2022-04-27. Retrieved 2022-09-22.
- ↑ Roche, Stephen (2012-06-07). Born to Ride: The Autobiography of Stephen Roche. Random House. ISBN 978-1-4481-2966-9.
- ↑ "Power of Sport - Stephen Roche on the fiery GC battle at the 1987 Giro d'Italia". Eurosport. 2022-06-02. Retrieved 2022-09-22.
- ↑ "How Stephen Roche ruled cycling in 1987 | Steven Pye". the Guardian. 2017-07-21. Retrieved 2022-09-22.
- ↑ Warren, Simon (2013-04-01). 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs: A Road Cyclist's Guide to Britain's Hills. Frances Lincoln. ISBN 978-1-78101-017-4.
- Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill (2011). Historical Dictionary of Cycling. Lanham, Maryland: Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-8108-7369-8.
- Roche, Nicolas (2011). Inside The Peloton: My Life as a Professional Cyclist. Dublin, Ireland: Transworld Publishers. ISBN 978-1-84827-111-1.