The Simple English Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia. It is a wiki, a kind of web site written by many people together. This means anyone can change any page by clicking on the "change this page" link. You can do this on any page that is not protected. You can see if the page is protected because it will say "View source" instead of "Change".
Wikipedia started on January 15, 2001 and it has over 35,000,000 articles in many languages, including 123,099 in Simple English. Most of these articles are in languages other than English. Every day hundreds of people from around the world make hundreds of changes and create lots of new articles.
Any pages that you write and any changes that you make are yours. A license called the GNU Free Documentation License guarantees that people will always be able to use and make copies of all of Wikipedia including your pages and changes. Read the page about copyrights for more information.
Note: Wikipedia has pages that some people might think are bad, vulgar or mean. Read the Wikipedia content disclaimer for more information.
Be part of Wikipedia
Getting in touch
Wikipedia in other languages
English • Cebuano (Cebuano) • Deutsch (German) • español (Spanish) • français (French) • italiano (Italian) • 日本語 (Japanese) • Nederlands (Dutch) • polski (Polish) • русский (Russian) • svenska (Swedish) • Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) • Winaray (Waray)
Simple English • العربية (Arabic) • azərbaycanca (Azerbaijani) • беларуская (Belarusian) • български (Bulgarian) • нохчийн (Chechen) • čeština (Czech) • dansk (Danish) • Ελληνικά (Greek) • Esperanto (Esperanto) • eesti (Estonian) • euskara (Basque) • suomi (Finnish) • galego (Galician) • עברית (Hebrew) • हिन्दी (Hindi) • hrvatski (Croatian) • magyar (Hungarian) • Հայերեն (Armenian) • Bahasa Indonesia (Indonesian) • ქართული (Georgian) • қазақша (Kazakh) • 한국어 (Korean) • Latina (Latin) • lietuvių (Lithuanian) • Baso Minangkabau (Minangkabau) • Bahasa Melayu (Malay) • norsk nynorsk (Norwegian Nynorsk) • norsk bokmål (Norwegian) • română (Romanian) • srpskohrvatski / српскохрватски (Serbo-Croatian) • slovenčina (Slovak) • slovenščina (Slovenian) • српски / srpski (Serbian) • ไทย (Thai) • Türkçe (Turkish) • اردو (Urdu) • oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча (Uzbek) • Volapük (Volapük) • Bân-lâm-gú (Chinese (Min Nan))
Other wiki projects
- Wiktionary has a dictionary and thesaurus in lots of languages. They also have word histories, translations, grammar rules, and pages about how to say words correctly. There is a Simple English Wiktionary.
- Wikibooks is a place that makes books, including online books for children and cookbooks.
- Wikiquote has quotations in every language.
- Wikisource has public domain books and other writing.
- Wikinews has free news articles and lots of people to talk about them.
- Wikiversity is a free online school.
- Wikimedia Commons has all the pictures, sound and videos ([media]) for all the Wikis.
- Wikivoyage a travel site hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikispecies, a list of animals, plants, and other types of living things
- Meta-Wiki is where people organize and talk about all the wikis.