A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story
A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story is a 2006 LGBT biography television movie that was directed by Agnieszka Holland and was shown on the Lifetime Television network. The story is about the real life murder of Gwen Araujo, who was born as Edward Araujo, Jr., a transgender teenager who was murdered after some people that she knew found out that she had male sex organs. Scenes showing the murder trial are shown alternating with the story of Gwen's life.
|A Girl Like Me:|
The Gwen Araujo Story
|Directed by||Agnieszka Holland|
|Produced by||Fran Rosati|
|Written by||Shelley Evans|
|Starring||J. D. Pardo|
|Music by||Jan A.P. Kaczmarek|
|Edited by||Michael John Bateman|
|Distributed by||Lifetime Television|
|June 19, 2006|
The movie stars J.D. Pardo as Gwen, Mercedes Ruehl as her mother, and Avan Jogia as her brother, Danny. It first aired on the Lifetime Television network on June 19, 2006.
- "Lifetime.com - A Girl Like Me". Archived from the original on 2009-12-11. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- Marshall, Carolyn (September 13, 2005). "Two Guilty of Murder in Death of a Transgender Teenager". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- Official site Archived 2009-10-01 at the Wayback Machine
- A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story on IMDb
- Rolling Stone article about the real life events