morpheme that is attached to a word stem to form a new word
- Prefix: before the word/root, for instance: anti-climax; re-write.
- Suffix: after the word/root, for instance: climactic; walked. Most plurals.
- Infix: Inside the word/root. Rare in English, example: the m in recumbent.
- Interfix: between words, to connect them: the reduced and in sun 'n sand; editor-in-chief.
- Root = the part of a word which does not change.
- McArthur, Tom (ed) 1992. The Oxford companion to the English language. Oxford University Press.