Alexander Yakovlevich Bulgakov
Александр Яковлевич Булгаков
|Born||November 15, 1781|
|Died||April 17, 1863 (aged 81)|
|Alma mater||Saint Peter's School|
|Occupation||diplomat, senator, post director|
|Employer||Governor General of Moscow|
|Known for||correspondence, writing|
|Title||Director of the Moscow Post Office|
Natalia Khovansky (1785–1841) (m. 1809–1841)
Emerika Abramovich (m. 1845–1863)
daughter Catherine Bulgakov (1811–1880)
son Konstantin Bulgakov (1812–1862)
daughter Olga Bulgakov (1814–1865)
son Pavel Bulgakov (1825–1873)
|Parent(s)||Yakov Bulgakov (1743–1809)|
Catherine Amber (?–1809)
|Relatives||brother Konstantin Bulgakov (1782–1835)|
Alexander Bulgakov was born in 1781 in Constantinople in the family of a Russian diplomat, Yakov Bulgakov (1743–1809). At the beginning of his career, Bulgakov worked in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He served as an official with special duties attached to the Governor General of Moscow in 1809–1832.
In 1832, Bulgakov stopped his diplomatic career and was appointed to Director of Posts in Moscow. He served in this position in 1832–1856. His younger brother Konstantin Bulgakov (1782–1835) was the Director of the Saint Petersburg Post Office at that time. Because both were the top officers of the Russian Postal Service, they could freely correspond with each other. Both brothers were much respected by their staff for their effort to improve working conditions for postal workers.
- Russian: Александр Яковлевич Булгаков.
- Vitale, S. (2000-05-15). Pushkin's Button. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. p. 333. Archived from the original on 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Roberts, I. W. (1986). "19th century Russian postal ministers and officials". Rossica: Journal of the Rossica Society of Russian Philately. 108–109: 75–78. ISSN 0035-8363. Archived from the original on 2015-05-16. Retrieved 2015-05-16.
[Notes from "Khronika" in "Zhizn' i Tekhnika Svyazi," 1924 (translated by D. Skipton)]CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)Archived from on 2015-05-16.
- Bulgakov, K. Ia.; Bulgakov, A. Ia. (2010). Brat`ia Bulgakovy: Perepiska v 3-kh tomakh [The Bulgakov Brothers: Correspondence: In 3 vols] (in Russian). Introd. by Prince P. A. Viazemskii. Moscow: Zakharov. ISBN 9785815909502. Archived from the original on 2015-05-13. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Media related to Alexander Bulgakov at Wikimedia Commons