American Red Cross
The American Red Cross (ARC), also known as The American National Red Cross, is a humanitarian group that gives emergency assistance, disaster relief, and teaches people how to prepare for disasters in the United States. It is the official US group related to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and the United States movement to the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
|Formation||May 21, 1881|
|Legal status||Instrumentality of the United States and a body corporate and politic|
|Headquarters||American Red Cross National Headquarters|
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Gail J. McGovern|
|Board of Governors|
The groups offers services and developments programs.
Clara Barton (1821–1912) created the American chapter after learning of the Red Cross in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1869, she went to Europe and became involved with the International Red Cross during the Franco-Prussian War. She wanted to bring the group to America.
- 36 U.S.C. § 300101
- "Leaders of the American Red Cross". American Red Cross. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- "American Red Cross 2017 Audit and Consolidated Financial Statements" (PDF).
- "Congressional Charter of the American Red Cross" (PDF). May 2007.
- "What We Do | Red Cross | Disaster Relief, Emergency Management". American Red Cross. Retrieved September 18, 2015.
- "The Story of My Childhood". World Digital Library. 1907. Retrieved October 9, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to American Red Cross.|
- official website
- Clara Barton's House: Home of the American Red Cross, a National Park Service Teaching with Historic Places (TwHP) lesson plan
- American Red Cross Motor Service uniform, the 1940s, in the Staten Island Historical Society Online Collections Database
- American Red Cross Nurse's Aide uniform, the 1940s, in the Staten Island Historical Society Online Collections Database
- Red Cross posters from World War I from the Elisabeth Ball Collection
- Records of the American National Red Cross, 1881–2008 at the National Archives and Records Administration
- Works by American National Red Cross at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about American Red Cross at Internet Archive