Biosynthesis is the production of complex molecules within living organisms or cells. Biosynthesis takes simple molecules and turns them into bigger molecules.
Biosynthesis happens because of chemical reactions. Biosynthesis needs these things to happen:
- Precursor molecules: Precursor molecules are the starting molecules in biosynthesis.
- Chemical energy: Energy is needed to turn the precursor molecules into the result.
- Catalytic enzymes: Enzymes help the reactions go faster. Enzymes also lower the energy needed.
- Coenzymes: Coenzymes help the chemical reactions.
- ↑ Alberts, Bruce (2008). Molecular Biology of the Cell (5th ed.). New York: Garland Science. ISBN 978-0815341055.