Its name refers to its summit, which is over 1.5 kilometres (0.93mi) long. Broad Peak is located in the Karakoram mountain range, and is only roughly 5 miles away from K2. It is 8,047 metres (26,401 ft) above sea level and has many summits. There is debate on whether or not Broad Peak has one or two 8,000 metres summits. Broad Peak is considered one of the easier of the Eight-thousanders, the group of mountains that are more than 8,000 metres in height above sea level.
The first ascent of Broad Peak was made between June 8 and 9, 1957 by Fritz Wintersteller, Marcus Schmuck, Kurt Diemberger, and Hermann Buhl of an Austrian expedition led by Marcus Schmuck. This expedition was done without the use of supplemental oxygen, which help climbers breath at high altitudes. Thomas George Montgomery, a British surveyor, named the mountain K3 in 1856 and Martin Conway gave it the name Broad Peak for its mile long summit ridge in 1892.
- hiking, Stewart Green Stewart M. Green is a lifelong climber from Colorado who has written more than 20 books about; Climbing, Rock. "Climbing Mt. Washington, New England's Highest Mountain". ThoughtCo. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- "Broad Peak - Peakbagger.com". www.peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2019-02-05.
- "Broad Peak". Peakware.com. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04.
- "Broad Peak". www.serapjangbu.com. Retrieved 2019-02-06.
- "Broad Peak: Some background and History". www.everestnews.com. Retrieved 2019-02-05.