study of climate
Climatology is the study of climate, scientifically defined as weather conditions averaged over a period of time, and is a branch of the atmospheric sciences. Basic knowledge of climate can be used within shorter term weather forecasting using analog techniques such as teleconnections and climate indices.
The Greeks began the study of climate.
- ↑ Climate Prediction Center. Climate Glossary. Archived 2006-10-06 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on November 23, 2006.
- Climatology News Daily publication with news in all areas of climatology plus free news feeds for webmasters.
- Climate Prediction Center
- IPCC Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: The IPCC assesses the scientific, technical and socio-economic information relevant for the understanding of the risk of human-induced climate change.
- KNMI Climate Explorer The Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute's Climate Explorer graphs climatological relationships of spatial and temporal data.
- Climatology as a Profession Archived 2007-07-13 at the Wayback Machine Amer. Inst. of Physics account of the history of the discipline of climatology in the 20th century