subclass of arthropods
(Redirected from Collembola)
Springtails (Collembola) are six-legged arthropods. They used to be thought of as proto-insects, but now they are not regarded as insects. They do not have wings.
Temporal range: early Devonian
They live in the soil, and eat fungal hyphae, spores, pollen and other organic material. They need moist soils, and have been known to damage crops.
- ↑ Gillott, Cedric 2005. Apterygote hexapods. In Entomology. 3rd ed, Berlin: Springer, pp. 113–125. ISBN 978-0-306-44967-3
- ↑ Shaw, Michael W. & Haughs, G. M. (1983). "Damage to potato foliage by Sminthurus viridis (L.)" (PDF). Plant Pathology. 32 (4): 465–466. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3059.1983.tb02864.x.
- Media related to Collembola at Wikimedia Commons
- List of the Collembola of the World
- General information on Collembola