This part of the intestine is about 30 cm in length. It travels down the left side of the abdomen. It is possible to have medical problems with the descending colon including ulcers, cancer and Crohn's disease.
This is the small "S" shaped part of the colon, about 40 cm in length, which goes from the bottom of the descending colon into the centre of the pelvis to the rectum. It gets its name from the Greek letter "s", sigma.
- "Colon and Rectal Cancer Treatment Information". canceranswers.com. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- "Instant Anatomy - Abdomen - Areas/Organs - Bowel - Descending colon". instantanatomy.net. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- "What is a Descending Colon?". wisegeek.com. Retrieved March 21, 2010.
- "sigmoid colon (anatomy) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia". britannica.com. Retrieved 21 March 2010.
- Overview and diagrams at seer.cancer.gov Archived 2009-02-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Video: What is Colorectal Cancer? Archived 2012-01-18 at the Wayback Machine