A common name of a taxon or organism is a name that is generally given by people. A common name is not the organism's scientific name. Common names are used by people to describe something. Some common names are not always used by some people. A common name are also known as a vernacular name, English name, colloquial name, trivial name, trivial epithet, country name, popular name, or farmer's name.
- Stearn, William T. 1959. "The Background of Linnaeus's Contributions to the Nomenclature and Methods of Systematic Biology". Systematic Zoology 8: 4–22.
Other websites Edit
- Plant names Archived 2008-10-03 at the Wayback Machine
- Multilingual, Multiscript Plant Name Database
- The use of common names Archived 2006-07-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Chemical Names of Common Substances Archived 2006-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- Plantas medicinales / Medicinal plants (database) Archived 2010-08-22 at the Wayback Machine