Cyril Harrison Wecht (born March 20, 1931) is an American forensic pathologist. He is perhaps best known for his criticism of the Warren Commission's findings concerning the assassination of John F. Kennedy.
|Allegheny County Medical Examiner|
December 29, 2005 – January 20, 2006
|Preceded by||Himself as Coroner|
|Succeeded by||Abdulrezak Shakir (Acting)[a]|
|Allegheny County Coroner|
January 1, 1996 – December 29, 2005
|Preceded by||F. James Gregis (Acting)[b]|
|Succeeded by||Himself as Medical Examiner|
January 2, 1970 – January 9, 1980
|Preceded by||Ralph Stalter|
|Succeeded by||Joshua Perper (Acting)[c]|
|Member of the Allegheny County|
Board of Commissioners
January 7, 1980 – January 2, 1984
|Preceded by||Jim Flaherty|
|Succeeded by||Pete Flaherty|
|Chairperson of the|
Allegheny County Democratic Party
June 1, 1978 – May 30, 1984
|Preceded by||Eugene Coon|
|Succeeded by||Ed Stevens|
Cyril Harrison Wecht
March 20, 1931
Dunkard Township, Pennsylvania
|Alma mater||University of Pittsburgh (B.S.), (M.D.), (LLB)|
University of Maryland School of Law (J.D.)
|a.^ Shakir held the title of Acting Medical Examiner while a national search was undertaken to find a permanent successor to Wecht.
In December 2006, Karl Williams was formally appointed Medical Examiner.|
b.^ Gregis held the title of Acting Coroner from the date of Joshua Perper's resignation in July of 1994, until Wecht was elected to permanently fill the vacancy.
c.^ Perper held the title of Acting Coroner from the date of Wecht's resignation, until the State Supreme Court upheld Dr. Sanford Edberg's appointment to the office on March 2, 1981.
He has been the president of both the American Academy of Forensic Sciences and the American College of Legal Medicine, and headed the board of trustees of the American Board of Legal Medicine. He was County Commissioner and Allegheny County Coroner and Medical Examiner serving Pittsburgh.
- Lovering, Daniel (December 30, 2005). "Famous coroner Wecht to be county's first medical examiner". Centre Daily Times. Associated Press. Archived from the original on July 26, 2018. Retrieved December 30, 2011 – via Care2 Groups.
- Cato, Jason; Conti, David (January 21, 2006). "Wecht resigns, proclaims innocence". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- "Wecht Sworn In As Coroner". The Pittsburgh Press. January 2, 1970. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "New Allegheny commissioners promise new era of cooperation". The Gettysburg Times. January 3, 1984. Retrieved December 29, 2011.
- Uhl, Sherley (June 1, 1978). "Wecht At Dem Helm, Rips Party Dissidents". The Pittsburgh Press. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Uhl, Sherley (May 30, 1984). "Democrats pick chairman tonight". The Pittsburgh Press. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "Wecht indicted, relinquishes medical examiner duties". The Pittsburgh Business Times. January 20, 2006. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Belser, Ann (December 23, 2006). "Allegheny County names new medical examiner". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "Perper named to Fla. post". The Observer-Reporter. April 10, 1994. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- "About Cyril H. Wecht". Cyril H. Wecht. Retrieved October 9, 2019.