Diff'rent Strokes is an American sitcom created by Jeff Harris and Bernie Kukoff. Diff'rent Strokes is set in New York City. It ran for 8 seasons and had 189 episodes. Diff'rent Strokes launched the career of four of its stars Gary Coleman, Todd Bridges, Dana Plato, and Conrad Bain.
|Created by||Jeff Harris
|Written by||Ben Starr
|Directed by||Herbert Kenwith
Mary Jo Catlett
Mary Ann Mobley
|Theme music composer||Alan Thicke
|Opening theme||"It Takes Diff'rent Strokes"|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||8|
|No. of episodes||189 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Budd Grossman
Hollywood, California (1978–82)
Universal City Studios
Universal City, California (1982–85)
ABC Television Center
Hollywood, California (1985–86)
|Running time||24 mins.|
|Production company(s)||Tandem Productions, Inc.
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Original release||November 3, 1978– March 7, 1986|
|Related shows||The Facts of Life
The show is about a rich man Phillip Drummond (Conrad Bain) and his daughter Kimberly Drummond (Dana Plato) living in an apartment in New York City. Shortly before his maid died, she wanted him to take care of her two children, Arnold and Willis Jackson (Gary Coleman and Todd Bridges). They go through funny adventures and face realistic problems that can effect Arnold or the Drummond family.
Cast and charactersEdit
Conrad Bain is the only cast member to appear in all Diff'rent Strokes episodes. Gary Coleman did not appear in two.
- Conrad Bain as Phillip Drummond, a friendly, rich white widower. He runs the Trans Allied, Inc. He was born December 3, 1931 in Manhattan. He has two adopted African-American sons, 12-year-old Willis and 8-year-old Arnold Jackson. He also has an older sister named Sophia. He then remarried Maggie McKinney.
- Dana Plato as Kimberly Drummond, Phillip's only biological child. She was shown as a caring, loving big sister to both Willis and Arnold. As a rich teenager, though, she had various problems.
- Gary Coleman as Arnold Jackson, the younger brother of Willis. He was born in Harlem, New York City on October 19, 1971. Arnold was known for his catch phrase, Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis?, which became a part of popular culture.
- Todd Bridges as Willis Jackson, the older brother of Arnold. He was born in Harlem on April 27, 1965. Willis's catch phrase is Say what?
- Charlotte Rae - Edna Garrett
- Nedra Volz - Adelaide Brubaker
- Janet Jackson - Charlene DuPrey
- Dody Goodman - Aunt Sophia
- Shavar Ross - Dudley Ramsey
- Le Tari - Mr. Ted Ramsey
- Mary Jo Catlett - Pearl Gallagher
- Rosalind Chao - Miss Chung
- Steven Mond - Robbie Jason
- Nikki Swasey - Lisa Hayes
- Dixie Carter - Maggie McKinney Drummond #1
- Mary Ann Mobley - Maggie McKinney Drummond #2
- Danny Cooksey - Sam McKinney
- Jason Hervey - Charlie
There have been rumors of a curse about the cast members of the series such as; the falling career, robbery, and suicide of Dana Plato. The death of Gary Coleman from an accidental fall, the death of Nedra Volz from Alzheimer's disease, the death of Dixie Carter from cancer, and the death of Conrad Bain from natural causes. The only well-known cast members that survive are Todd Bridges and Charlotte Rae.