Dylann Storm Roof
April 3, 1994
Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.
|Criminal status||Found guilty of all charges and sentenced to death in federal court, pleaded guilty to all counts in state court and received nine life sentences; currently incarcerated at United States Penitentiary, Terre Haute #28509-171|
|Motive||White supremacy, desire to start a race war|
|Conviction(s)||December 15, 2016 (federal)|
April 10, 2017 (state; agreed to plead guilty on March 31, 2017)
|Criminal charge||Federal (33 counts):
South Carolina State (13 counts):
Life imprisonment (state)
|Date||June 17, 2015|
c. 9:05 p.m. – c. 9:11 p.m.
|Location(s)||Charleston, South Carolina, U.S.|
|Target(s)||African American churchgoers|
|Weapons||Glock 41 .45-caliber handgun|
On December 15, 2016, Roof was convicted in federal court of all 33 federal charges (including hate crimes) against him stemming from the shooting; on January 11, 2017, he was sentenced to death for those crimes. In March 2017, he was sentenced life in prison without parole. On April 10, 2017, Roof was sentenced to nine consecutive sentences of life without parole.
- United States Department of Justice (July 22, 2015). "Attorney General Lynch Statement Following the Federal Grand Jury Indictment Against Dylann Storm Roof". Press release. https://www.justice.gov/usao-sc/pr/attorney-general-lynch-statement-following-federal-grand-jury-indictment-against-dylann.
- Dustin Waters & Mark Berman (December 15, 2016). "Dylann Roof found guilty on all counts in Charleston church massacre trial". Washington Post.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- Alan Blinder & Kevin Sack (December 15, 2016). "Dylann Roof Found Guilty in Charleston Church Massacre". New York Times.CS1 maint: uses authors parameter (link)
- "Dylann Roof Gets Death Penalty For Racially Motivated Charleston Church Shooting". VannDigital. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Kinnard, Meg (March 31, 2017). "Dylann Roof to plead guilty to state murder charges, avoiding second death penalty trial". Chicago Tribune.
- "Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof pleads guilty to state murder charges". The Guardian. April 10, 2017. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- "Dylann Roof: Charleston Church Shooter Gets Nine Life Sentences in State Case". NBC NEWS. April 10, 2017. Retrieved April 11, 2017.
- "Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof pleads guilty, awaits execution". Chicago Tribune. April 10, 2017. Retrieved April 11, 2017.