problem-solving procedures with certain characteristics
In mathematics, logic, and related disciplines, an effective metohd or effective procedure is a way of solving a problem. It is defined as follws:
- It has a finite number of exact instructions
- When its used for a problem of its given class:
- It will finish after a finite number of steps
- It will always produce the correct result
- It can be also be done by a human, with a piece of paper, and a writing aid (like a pencil)
- Anyone following the steps, will be successful.
Sometimes, people ask that the method odes not return a result, if it is aplied ot a problem which is not of its class.
In the case of computer science, an effective method is called algorithm.