|Rèile na h-Alba (Scottish Gaelic)|
October 17 2004 – March 31 2015
|Other region(s)||North West England|
North East England
|Route km operated||3032.0|
|National Rail abbreviation||SR|
|Website||www.scotrail.co.uk at the Wayback Machine (archived 2015-03-16)|
National Express operated the ScotRail franchise from March 1997 until October 2004.
On July 28 2003 Transport Scotland announced Arriva, First and National Express had been chosen to bid for the new franchise.
On June 11 2004 Transport Scotland awarded the new franchise to First with the services operated by ScotRail moving to First ScotRail on October 17 2004. It originally traded as First ScotRail before being rebranded as ScotRail in September 2008.
On October 8 2014, Abellio were awarded the franchise beating First. They started running the trains in April 2015.
- Companies House extract company no SC185018 First ScotRail Limited
- "ScotRail franchise".
- Queiro, Alicia (10 August 14). "ScotRail franchise: How will Abellio deal change Scotland's railways?". Check date values in:
- Shortlist of ScotRail bidders puts three in the ring Archived 2016-10-18 at the Wayback Machine Herald Scotland 28 October 2003
- FirstGroup clinches Scottish rail franchise The Telegraph 12 June 2004
- First Welcomes Award of ScotRail Franchise Archived 2014-10-06 at the Wayback Machine First ScotRail Press Release 11 June 2004
- Railways Act 2005
| Operator of ScotRail franchise
2004 – present