Genesis is an English progressive rock group. They formed in 1967. They have sold about 150 million albums all over the world. This puts them among the top 30 best-selling recording artists of all time. The group's members have included Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. Both of them were successful as solo artists as well.
|Origin||Godalming, Surrey, England|
|Years active||1967 – 1998; 2006–2011|
|Labels||Virgin, Charisma, Atlantic, Atco, Decca, ABC, Impulse!, Rhino|
|Past member(s)||Peter Gabriel|
Members of the groupEdit
Over the years, Genesis has changed members more than once. The first line-up was Peter Gabriel (vocals), Anthony Phillips (guitar), Tony Banks (keyboards), Mike Rutherford (bass & guitar), and Chris Stewart (drums).
Other drummers until 1970 were John Silver and John Mayhew. In August 1970, Phil Collins began playing drums for Genesis. In some songs, he also sang. The same year Phillips left, and Steve Hackett joined as a guitarist in 1971.
The band also made a song called "Supper's Ready" which is almost 23 minutes long. Many fans call it their best because it has many different parts.
After the release of the album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974), Gabriel left the band. Collins took over the singing. He was singer for Genesis from 1976 to 1996. When Hackett also left, in 1977 there were only three members left. The 1978 album was called ...And Then There Were Three... because of this.
The band ended up making lots of well-known songs, like Abacab, Invisible Touch and No Son of Mine.
The last studio album with Collins was We Can't Dance in 1991. He left the band in 1996 and was replaced with singer Ray Wilson. Because the album Calling All Stations (1997) with Ray Wilson was not very successful, the group disbanded.
After a break of eight years, Genesis started a world tour in 2006. The members now are Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. The band disbanded again at 2011 due to Collins retiring and Collins came back from retiring at 2015.
Genesis were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2010.
- Peter Gabriel – Lead vocals (1967–1975)
- Tony Banks – Keyboards (1967–1998, 2006–2011)
- Mike Rutherford – Bass guitars, guitars, backing vocals (1967–1998, 2006–2011)
- Anthony Phillips – Guitars (1967–1970)
- Chris Stewart – Drums (1967–1968)
- John Silver – Drums (1968–1969)
- John Mayhew – Drums (1969–1970)
- Phil Collins – Drums, lead vocals, backing vocals (1970–1996, 2006–2011)
- Mick Barnard – Guitars (1970–1971)
- Steve Hackett – Guitars (1971–1977)
- Ray Wilson – Lead vocals (1996–1998)
- Nir Zidkyahu – Drums (1996–1998)
- Studio albums
- From Genesis to Revelation (1969)
- Trespass (1970)
- Nursery Cryme (1971)
- Foxtrot (1972)
- Selling England by the Pound (1973)
- The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (1974)
- A Trick of a Tail (1976)
- Wind & Wuthering (1976)
- ...And Then There Were Three... (1978)
- Duke (1980)
- Abacab (1981)
- Genesis (1983)
- Invisible Touch (1986)
- We Can't Dance (1991)
- Calling All Stations (1997)