Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is a museum of modern art. It is in Abando, Bilbao, Spain. The museum was opened in 1997. It is one of the several museums belonging to Solomon R. Guggenheim foundation. This museum was designed by the architect Frank Gehry. There are no flat surfaces in this building. The structure of the building is made of glass, titanium, and limestone.
|Museo Guggenheim Bilbao / Guggenheim Bilbao Museoa|
|Established||18 October 1997|
|Location||Abando, Bilbao, Spain|
|Visitors||1 322 611 (2017)|
|Director||Juan Ignacio Vidarte|
|Public transit access||EuskoTran's Line A|
"Frank Gehry’s Guggenheim Museum Bilbao not only changed the way that architects and people think about museums, but also boosted Bilbao’s economy with its astounding success."
The museum has three aims in its mission. The museum wants to bring together and help the public to interpret the arts of our time. They want to encourage art education. They also want to increase the knowledge of the public's understanding of the arts. The collections at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao have works by the some of the most famous artists of the past four decades. There are works of many genres including Minimalism, Pop Art, Conceptual Art and Abstract Expressionism. Spanish contemporary and Basque art are also displayed from some of the local and regional artists.
There are over one hundred exhibitions in the museum. There have been approximately ten million visitors to the museum.
- "El Museo Guggenheim Bilbao vive el mejor año de su historia en su XX Aniversario" (PDF).
- "AD Classics: The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao / Gehry Partners". ArchDaily. 1 September 2013.
- "Museo Guggenheim Bilbao - Discover the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and plan your visit". Museo Guggenheim Bilbao.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Guggenheim Museum Bilbao.|
- http://www.guggenheim.org/bilbao - Guggenheim Museum Bilbao
- http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20131218-when-the-museum-is-the-art - Guggenheim Museum Bilbao: Art inside and out