Haskell Indian Nations University
The Haskell Indian Nations University is a university in Lawrence, Kansas, a city in northeastern Kansas. It has free tuition for all Native Americans. About 1000 people attend the university. The university was created in 1884.
|United States Indian Industrial Training School (1884–87)|
Haskell Institute (1887–1970)
Haskell Indian Junior College (1970–93)
|Type||Federal tribal university|
|Colors||Purple and Gold|
|Athletics||NAIA – Independent|
|Sports||8 varsity teams|
Haskell Indian Nations University was built in 1884. It was called the United States Indian Industrial Training School. It changed its name to Haskell Institute in 1887. Its name changed to Haskell Indian Nations University in 1993. Haskell offered its first four-year bachelor degree program in elementary teacher education.
- Evelyne Bradley - American Navajo judge
- Chief Kenneth S. Clark Sr. - Nanticoke chief and Indian rights activist
- Henry Roe Cloud - Tribal education advocate
- Sharice Davids - American attorney, former mixed martial artist, U.S. Representative for Kansas's 3rd congressional district since 2019.
- Larry Johnson - football offensive lineman in the National Football League
- Buck Jones - professional football player
- Nick Lassa - professional football player
- Gilbert L. Laws - Nebraska Secretary of State and US Congressman
- Mayes McLain - professional football player
- Emmett McLemore - professional football player
- Billy Mills - Olympic gold medalist in 10,000m at Tokyo 1964 Summer Olympics
- Joe Pappio - professional football player
- Stan Powell - professional football player
- Steve Reevis - Hollywood actor
- Pauline Small - first woman elected to a Crow Nation tribal office[source?]
- Jim Thorpe - Olympic gold medalist in decathlon; scored a record 8,413 points
- Louis Weller - professional football player
- "About Haskell". Haskell.edu. Archived from the original on 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- Kennedy, Frances (2008). American Indian Places: A Historical Guidebook. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 174. ISBN 9780395633366.
- "About Haskell, pp 5-6" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-13. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "About Haskell". Archived from the original on 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2013-11-12.
- "Evelyne E. Bradley". Arizona Journal. Archived from the original on February 1, 2014. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "Former Nanticoke chief dies". Delaware Online, The News Journal. Retrieved October 15, 2015.
- "ROE CLOUD, HENRY (1884-1950)". Encyclopedia of the Great Plains. Archived from the original on 2014-03-25. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- Sharice Davids edges Brent Welder for Democratic nomination, will face Kevin Yoder in fall; Shawnee Mission Post; August 8, 2018.
- "NFL Players who attended Haskell Indian Nations University". databaseSports.com. Archived from the original on March 7, 2008. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
- "LAWS, Gilbert Lafayette, (1838 - 1907)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved January 30, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Haskell Indian Nations University.|