Hkakabo Razi is a 5,881-metre (19,295-foot) mountain in Asia. It is in the Burmese Himalayas range of the Kachin State in northern Myanmar. This mountain is in 3 countries: Myanmar , India, and China. It is the highest mountain in Myanmar. It has been protected as a national park since 1998. The mountain is in Kachin State, the northernmost state of Myanmar.
|Elevation||5,881 m (19,295 ft)|
|Prominence||904 m (2,966 ft)|
|First ascent||15 September 1996 |
|Easiest route||snow/ice climb|
Takashi Ozaki (Japan, 1951 – May 14, 2011) and Nyima Gyaltsen (aka "Aung Tse"; Myanmar) made the first ascent in 1996. As of 2021, they were the only people to have reached the top of the mountain and to have returned alive. Ozaki had attempted the mountain in 1995 but turned back due to bad weather. The route to basecamp is long (four weeks). A dense rain forest needs to be traversed, with many unbridged stream crossings. Before 1993, foreigners were not allowed travel to the area. This may be one of the reasons why the first successful climb was only done recently.
In 2013, the nearby peak of Gamlang Razi was climbed and measured at 5,870 m (19,260 ft) using an advanced version of GPS, making it possibly the highest in Myanmar. Ozaki had confirmed Hkakabo's height as 5881 m, but he did not yet have the GPS equipment to measure the exact height of Hkakabo Razi.
A team was sent out, to measure the exact height, in 2014. They had to turn back at a height of 5,742 m (18,839 ft). They estimated that the summit was 800 ft (240 m) higher. Therefore, its exact height is unknown.
- Tamotsu Nakamura, Veiled Mountains in North Myanmar Archived 2017-12-15 at the Wayback Machine, Japanese Alpine News 2015
- Frederique Gely-Ozaki, Hkakabo Razi, The Himalayan Journal, Volume 52, 1996
- Andy Tyson, Gamlang Razi. The first ascent in Myanmar's mysterious mountains., The American Alpine Journal, 56, page 45 (2014)
- Kayleigh Long, Gamlang Razi expedition reaches summit, The Myanmar Times, 19 September 2013.
Trevor Brown, Gamlang Razi – Setting the Elevation Straight
- "On Myanmar's Mystery Peak, Drama and a Challenge Like No Other". National Geographic. Retrieved 8 November 2021.
Media related to Hkakabo Razi at Wikimedia Commons