- For the electronics brand-name of the same name, see Best Buy
Insignia (the plural of Latin insigne: emblem, symbol) is a symbol or token of personal power, status or office, or of an official body of government or jurisdiction. Insignia are especially used as an emblem of a specific or general authority.
Typical examples of insignia are:
- Flags of a country or state
- Coats of arms and Heraldry
- Other National Emblems
- Shoulder patch, or shoulder sleeve insignia (SSI)
- Military rank and unit markings
Official insignia are often protected by law as to allow their use only by people holding a specific office or staff members action on behalf of such a person. Misuse, defacement and destruction of such symbols is considered an offense in many countries.