James Le Mesurier
James Gustaf Edward Le Mesurier OBE (25 May 1971 – 11 November 2019) was the British military personnel, humanitarian and volunteer worker. He co-founder of the White Helmets, a volunteer civil defence organisation in the Syrian Civil War. He was a British Army officer in the 1990s and also worked with the United Nations peacekeeping force in the former Yugoslavia.
James Le Mesurier
James Gustaf Edward Le Mesurier
25 May 1971
|Died||11 November 2019 (aged 48)|
|Education||Royal Military Academy Sandhurst|
|Known for||Co-founding Syrian White Helmets|
|Years of service||1990–2000|
|Unit||Royal Green Jackets|
On 11 November 2019, Le Mesurier was found dead in the street of Beyoğlu, Istanbul, in what appears to have been a fall from his balcony. Le Mesurier was found with fractures to his head and legs. The cause of the fall or exact cause of death is under investigation.
- Trew, Bel (11 November 2019). "James Le Mesurier: White Helmets backer found dead near his home in Istanbul". The Independent.
- "Syrie. Les Casques blancs, héros ordinaires de la guerre civile". Courrier international (in French). 11 June 2015. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Yee, Vivien (11 November 2019). "James Le Mesurier, Backer of Syrian White Helmets, Is Found Dead in Turkey". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Jan, Maria (21 August 2015). "Q&A: Syria's White Helmets". Al Jazeera Media Network. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Kottasová, Ivana; Tuysuz, Gul (11 November 2019). "Backer of Syria's White Helmets found dead in Istanbul". CNN. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Safi, Michael (11 November 2019). "British founder of White Helmets found dead in Istanbul". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 11 November 2019 – via www.theguardian.com.
- Evans, Zachary (11 Nov 2019). "British Founder of Syrian 'White Helmets' Aid Organization Found Dead in Istanbul". National Review. Retrieved 12 November 2019.
- "White Helmets backer James Le Mesurier found dead in Turkey". Middle East Eye. 11 November 2019. Retrieved 11 November 2019.