John Sanford Gilliland, Jr. (October 18, 1935 – July 27, 1998) spoke on the radio. He made the Pop Chronicles music documentary, which told the story of popular music in America. He was an original member of The Credibility Gap comedy group. He was born and died in Quanah, Texas. He worked for radio stations in Texas and California including KOGO in San Diego (1961–1965), KRLA 1110 in Los Angeles (1965–1970), and KSFO (AM) in San Francisco (1971–1978).
Gilliland worked on his radio documentary, The Pop Chronicles, for over two years. Then it was first broadcast in 1969. It covered popular music of the 1950s and 1960s. In 1969, KRLA and many other radio stations broadcast this show. This show can now be heard online.
He edited and in 1994 published Pop Chronicles: the 40's as a four-cassette audiobook. This book was also called The Big Band Chronicles. When he was retired, he still worked for KREB in Houston and KXIC in Quanah. He died in 1998. In 2003, Gilliland's sister donated the Pop Chronicles tapes to the University of North Texas Music Library. They form The John Gilliland Collection Archived 2007-03-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- Hopkins, Jerry (October 4, 1969). "'Pop Chronicles' Chronicle Pop". Rolling Stone (43). p. 34.
- MacKenzie, Bob (1972-10-29). "Radio Returns to the '40s" (PDF). Oakland Tribune.
- "Pop chronicles. 36 (RU 11-1 [Sept. 1970]) [WorldCat.org]". [WorldCat.org]<!. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- Gilliland, John (1969). "Show 1" (audio). Pop Chronicles. Digital.library.unt.edu.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "The Pop Chronicles Of The 50s And 60s". www.radioechoes.com. 1969. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "John Gilliland - Pop Chronicles: The Forties". Bay Area Radio Museum. November 5, 1972. Archived from the original on 2013-08-01. Retrieved 2013-06-29.
- "Where was 'Radio Waves'?". Radio-info.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-25. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- Gilliland, John (1994). Pop Chronicles the 40s: The Lively Story of Pop Music in the 40s (audiobook). ISBN 978-1-55935-147-8. OCLC 31611854.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- "Pop chronicles [WorldCat.org]". Worldcat.org. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- Ruhlmann, William. The Big Band Chronicles at AllMusic. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "The big band chronicles (Audiobook on tape, 1997)". [WorldCat.org]. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "John Gilliland Collection, 1955-1991 | Music Library". Findingaids.library.unt.edu. Retrieved 2019-06-14.
- "ARSC Conference 2008 - Session Abstracts" (PDF). Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- "Magic of JuJu: Political Porno". Magicofjuju.blogspot.com. 2006-12-21. Retrieved 2009-11-16.
- The Pop Chronicles (audio) from the University of North Texas Music Library
- "Biography at the John Gilliland Collection". University of North Texas Music Library. Archived from the original on 2008-06-17.
- Los Angeles Radio People, G
- Obituary from laradio.com
- "The Pop Chronicles Presents The Forties". Bay Area Radio Museum. November 5, 1972.
- The Man on the Beat: John Gilliland and The Pop Chronicles, 2008 Association for Recorded Sound Collections conference presentation by Andrew Justice and Jonathan Thorn (audio & slides).