Laboratory techniques are the techniques of handling the various pieces of apparatus.
Handling of chemicalsEdit
- Shake the test tube gently
- Stir with a glass rod
- Tap the bottom of the test tube with your finger
- Pour the contents to and fro between two test tubes
- Stopper the test tube and shake
- Hold the material over a naked flame
- Put the material in a water bath
- Use a type of hairdryer called a "heat gun" to blow hot air at the material.
- Upward and downward delivery
- Over water
- Gas syringe
- Leave the mixture at room temperature to evaporate on its own.
- Put the substance in an "oven" which heats it gently and removes water vapour.
- Never smell a gas directly.
- Waft a gas towards yourself if it is reasonably safe to smell it.
- Never smell a gas that is toxic or otherwise dangerous.