Margherita de' Medici
Margherita de' Medici (31 May 1612 – 6 February 1679) was Duchess of Parma and Piacenza by her marriage to Odoardo Farnese, Duke of Parma. Margherita was regent of Plaisance in 1635 and regent of the entire duchy in 1646 after the death of her husband.
She was the fourth of eight children and the second daughter born to Cosimo II de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany and his wife Maria Magdalena of Austria.
Margherita's siblings included Ferdinando II de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Cardinal Gian Carlo de' Medici, Cardinal Leopoldo de' Medici and Anna, wife of Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Further Austria. Margherita's other siblings died in childhood or eary adulthood.
Margherita married Odoardo Farnese, Duke of Parma on 11 October 1628. On 11 September 1646 Odoardo died. Their eldest son, Ranuccio was not yet old enough to rule the Duchy alone so Margherita acted as regent until her son was old enough to govern alone. She died in Parma on February 6 1679.
- Caterina Farnese (2 October 1629) died at birth.
- Ranuccio Farnese, Duke of Parma (17 September 1630 – 11 December 1694) married (1) Margaret Yolande of Savoy, (2) Isabella d'Este, (3) Maria d'Este.
- Alessandro Farnese (10 January 1635 - 18 February 1689), Governor of the Habsburg Netherlands died unmarried.
- Onorato Farnese (24 January 1636 -2 November 1656) died unmarried.
- Maria Caterina Farnese (3 September 1637 - 24 April 1648) a nun
- Maria Maddalena Farnese (15 July 1638 - 11 March 1693) died unmarried.
- Pietro Farnese (4 April 1639 - 4 March 1677) died unmarried.
- Ottavio Farnese (5 January 1641 - 4 August 1641) died in infancy.