McFarland & Company
McFarland & Company, Inc. is an independent book publisher in Jefferson, North Carolina. They focus on academic and reference books, as well as general interest nonfiction for adults. Its president is Rhonda Herman. Its former president and current editor-in-chief is Robert Franklin, who created the company in 1979. McFarland has about 50 employees, and as of 2019[update] has published 7,800 books. McFarland's initial print is about 600 copies per book.
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Jefferson, North Carolina|
|Key people||Robert Franklin, Rhonda Herman|
|Publication types||academic and adult nonfiction, monographs, reference material, scholarly journals|
|Nonfiction topics||pop culture, sports, military history, transportation, chess, medieval studies, literary criticism, librarianship|
|No. of employees||About 50|
- "For International Customers". McFarlandBooks.com. Archived from the original on January 23, 2018.
- Roark, Fawn (September 30, 2004). "McFarland President To Speak At Entrepreneurial Conference". Mountain Times. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012.
- "Company History". McFarlandBooks.com. McFarland & Company. Archived from the original on December 13, 2013.
- "McFarland & Company Announces Promotion". Mountain Times. March 31, 2005. Archived from the original on December 15, 2013.
- Slide, Anthony (2010). "A Publishing Phenomenon that Begins and Ends with Scarecrow Press". Film History. 22 (3): 300–301. doi:10.2979/fil.2010.22.3.298. JSTOR 10.2979/fil.2010.22.3.298.
The initial print run for a book in the Filmmakers series, and, for that matter, most if not all Scarecrow titles, was six hundred copies. A similar print run has been the norm at McFarland and Greenwood Press.