Melanie Griffith (born August 9, 1957) is an American actress. She is the daughter of Tippi Hedren. She has been in many motion pictures. She is an Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe winner for her performance in the 1988 movie Working Girl.
Melanie Richards Griffith
August 9, 1957
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
(m. 1976; div. 1976)
(m. 1989; div. 1996)
(m. 1981; div. 1989)
(m. 1996; div. 2015)
|Children||3, including Dakota Johnson|
|Parent(s)||Peter Griffith (dead)|
|Relatives||Tracy Griffith (half-sister)|
Clay A. Griffith (half-brother)
She graduated from Hollywood Professional School when she was 16 years old.
Griffith began work at nine months old in a commercial. In Night Moves she did racy nude scenes at age 17.
At age 14, Griffith began dating 22-year old actor Don Johnson. He co-starred with her mother in The Harrad Experiment. Griffith was an extra. They had a six-month marriage in 1976. Tatum O'Neal said in her 2004 autobiography that around that time, she (then 12) and Griffith (then 18) were in an opium-fueled orgy in a Paris hotel room.
In September 1981, Griffith married Steven Bauer. He was her co-star in the TV movie She's in the Army Now. They have a son, Alexander, born on August 22, 1985. The couple divorced in 1987. Griffith later said she had problems with cocaine and liquor after her divorce from Bauer. "What I did was drink myself to sleep at night," she said. "If I wasn't with someone, I was an unhappy girl."
She checked into rehab in 1988. During this time, she got back together with Johnson, became sober and pregnant. They remarried in June 1989. Their daughter, Dakota Johnson, was born on October 4, 1989. They separated in June 1994. They divorced in 1996.
Griffith and Antonio Banderas began a relationship in May 1995 when they began filming Two Much. The couple has been married since May 14, 1996. Their daughter, Stella del Carmen Banderas Griffith, was born on September 24, 1996. There are reports of trouble in the marriage due to Antonio's closeness to an Indian Actress Mallika Sherawat. In June 2014, Griffith and Banderas stated that they are to divorce. The divorce was finalized in 2015.
Her father, Peter Griffith, died at age 67 on May 14, 2001.
In 1988, Griffith sought treatment for addiction to painkillers and alcohol after the filming of Working Girl. She went into rehab in 2000 for a painkiller addiction. She returned to rehab in August 2009 for substance abuse problems. She left three months later and underwent surgery for skin cancer in December 2009.
- Named "Star of Tomorrow" by the Motion Picture Booker's Club (1984)
- Taormina International Film Festival — Diamond Award (2000)
- Cannes Film Festival — Lifetime Achievement Award (2001)
|1973||The Harrad Experiment|
|1975||Night Moves||Delly Grastner|
|The Drowning Pool||Schuyler Devereaux|
|1976||Once an Eagle||Jinny Massengale|
|1977||The Garden||Young Girl|
|One on One||The Hitchhiker|
|1978||Daddy, I Don't Like it Like This||Girl in Hotel|
|The Star Maker||Dawn Barnett Youngblood|
|She's in the Army Now||Pvt. Sylvie Knoll|
|Body Double||Holly Body||National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Supporting Actress|
Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture
|1985||Alfred Hitchcock Presents||Girl|
|1986||Something Wild||Audrey Hankel aka Lulu||Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy|
|1987||Cherry 2000||Edith 'E' Johnson|
|1988||The Milagro Beanfield War||Flossie Devine|
|Working Girl||Tess McGill||Boston Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress|
Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Nominated — Academy Award for Best Actress
Nominated — BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role
|1990||Women and Men: Stories of Seduction||Hadley|
|In the Spirit||Lureen|
|Pacific Heights||Patty Palmer|
|The Bonfire of the Vanities||Maria Ruskin|
|1992||Shining Through||Linda Voss|
|A Stranger Among Us||Emily Eden|
|1993||Born Yesterday||Billie Dawn|
|Nobody's Fool||Toby Roebuck|
|1995||Buffalo Girls||Dora DuFran||Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film|
|Now and Then||Tina 'Teeny' Tercell|
|Two Much||Betty Kerner|
|1996||Mulholland Falls||Katherine Hoover|
|1998||Another Day in Paradise||Sid||Sant Jordi Award for Best Foreign Actress also for Crazy in Alabama|
|Shadow of Doubt||Kitt Devereux|
|1999||Crazy in Alabama||Lucille Vinson||Sant Jordi Award for Best Foreign Actress also for Another Day in Paradise|
|RKO 281||Marion Davies||Nominated — Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress – Miniseries or a Movie|
Nominated — Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
|2000||Cecil B. Demented||Honey Whitlock|
|Forever Lulu||Lulu McAfee||Released on DVD as Along for the Ride (2000)|
|2002||Searching for Debra Winger||Herself|
|Stuart Little 2||Margalo the Bird||Voice|
|2003||The Night We Called It a Day||Barbara Marx||Nominated — Australian Film Institute Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role|
|2007||Viva Laughlin||Bunny Baxter||Supporting role, TV series|
|2010||Nip/Tuck||Brandie Henry||Recurring role, TV series|
|Eli||Narrator||Lead role, Movie|
|2011||Hot in Cleveland||Herself||Episode: "Sisterhood of the Traveling SPANX"|
|2012||This American Housewife||Leila||Lifetime original series|
- ↑ Melanie Griffith Biography (1957-) Film Reference.com
- ↑ Ancestry of Melanie Griffith Warg.com
- ↑ Alumni Hollywood Conservatory of Music and Arts web site
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Melanie Griffith biography
- ↑ O'Neal, Tatum (2004). A Paper Life. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-054097-4.
- ↑ "Melanie Griffith - Tatum O'neal Corrupted By Griffith" 13 October 2004, Contactmusic.com
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Not So Magic Johnson" Archived 2013-12-17 at the Wayback Machine June 20, 1994, Vol. 41, No. 23, People
- ↑ Chin, Paula (1994-06-20). "Not So Magic Johnson - Marriage, Substance Abuse, Coping and Overcoming Illness, Don Johnson, Melanie Griffith". People.com. Archived from the original on 2013-12-17. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- ↑ "Winning a Tony". People.com. 1995-06-19. Archived from the original on 2014-03-03. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- ↑ "Mallika's photo causes trouble in Antonio's marriage!". The Times of India. Retrieved 2012-06-21.
- ↑ "NewsLibrary.com - newspaper archive, clipping service - newspapers and other news sources". Nl.newsbank.com. 2001-05-17. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- ↑ "Melanie Griffith back in rehab". Inquisitr.com. 2009-08-25. Retrieved 2012-03-02.
- ↑ "Melanie Griffith: Return to Rehab Was Planned" interview, August 26, 2009, Parade
- ↑ "Melanie Griffith has skin cancer surgery". CNN. December 18, 2009. Retrieved April 9, 2010.