Muryeong of Baekje
Muryeong of Baekje (462–523, r. 501–23), also known as Sama, was a 6th-century Korean king. He was the 25th king of Baekje, which was one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea in ancient times. The name Muryong means "military peace". It is a name he got after death.
|Muryeong of Baekje|
무령왕, 무녕왕, 무영왕
|Revised Romanization||Muryeong-wang, Munyeong-wang, Muyeong-wang|
|McCune–Reischauer||Muryǒng-wang, Munyǒng-wang, Muyǒng-wang|
|Revised Romanization||Sama, Yeoyung|
Events of Muryeong's reignEdit
After his deathEdit
Muryeong's tomb is located in Gongju in South Chungcheong Province. It has been studied by archeologists and historians. This the only ancient tomb that has been positively identified among those of this period.
In 2001, Japan's Emperor Akihito acknowledged a distant relationship with Muryeong. He explained, "I, on my part, feel a certain kinship with Korea, given the fact that it is recorded in the Chronicles of Japan that the mother of Emperor Kammu was of the line of King Muryong of Baekje."
- Kim, Wongyong. (1986). Art and Archaeology of Ancient Korea, p. 194; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Korea Tourism Organization, "Songsan-ri Tombs and Royal Tomb of King Muryeong"[permanent dead link]; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Discover Korea, "Gongju’s Songsanri Tombs," 19 December 2008; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Paxton, Norbert. (2005). The Rough Guide to Korea, p. 276.
- Gong ju City, Group of Ancient in Tombs Songsan-ri (Tomb of king Muryeong-wang)" Archived 2010-05-12 at the Wayback Machine; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- "Baekje Bone Fragments 'Belonged to King or Queen'," Chosun Ilbo (ROK). December 9, 2009; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Watts, Jonathan. Guardian.co.uk "The emperor's new roots," The Guardian (UK). 28 December 2001; retrieved 2011-12-25.
- Kim, Won-Yong. “The Tomb of King Muryong of the Paekche Dynasty.” Asian Pacific Quarterly of Cultural and Social Affairs (Seoul) 3:3 (Winter 1971): 34-46.
- Paik, Seung-gil. "Excavation of the Tomb of Paekche King Muryong." Korea Journal 11:8 (August 1971): 48-51.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Muryeong of Baekje.|
- http://www.myj7000.jp-biz.net/clan/03/03013.htm#003 Archived 2012-02-05 at the Wayback Machine