Musical composition can mean an original piece of music, the structure of a musical piece, or the process of making a new piece of music. A composition is a piece of music (the word "composition" means "putting together", so a composition is something where music notes have been put together). When a composer writes a piece of music he or she is making a musical composition.
The word "composition" can also mean learning the skill of how to compose. Music students may go to music college to study composition. They will do this by looking at famous pieces of music to see how the composers of the past wrote music. They will study musical form, harmony, orchestration, counterpoint and learn about all the instruments and how to write well for them so that it sounds nice.
- How to Compose Music www.artofcomposing.com
- Composition Today News, competitions, interviews and other resources for composers.
- Internet Concert Project: Album for the Young Student New Music Archived 2019-08-14 at the Wayback Machine, an online performance and documentary feature from Bloomingdale School of Music (January 2010)
- A Beginner's Guide to Composing Archived 2019-05-21 at the Wayback Machine, an online feature from Bloomingdale School of Music (February 2008)
- Gems of compositional wisdom
- A Practical Guide to Musical Composition Archived 2008-04-19 at the Wayback Machine
- ComposersNewPencil - Information, articles and music composition resources.
- How to compose music Archived 2007-07-21 at the Wayback Machine
- How to compose Music (Wikihow)
- Répertoire International des Sources Musicales, online database to locations of musical manuscripts from around the world
- How to Compose for New Age Piano
- Music composer | Music Arranger | Music Idea | Minus One Archived 2013-08-06 at the Wayback Machine
- best music composing software[permanent dead link]