Neutrois is a non-binary gender identity that is usually associated with gender neutrality or the nullification of gender. Neutrois is often translated as indifference towards or lack of gender in the individual, similar to or including those who are agender. The term is often used by those who experience gender dysphoria and/or gender euphoria who may seek medical and/or social gender transitions to have a more neutral or androgynous appearance. Those who are neutrois may have complex gender identities, or be indifferent to their gender. Many people who are neutrois avoid gender expression which is strictly associated with femininity or masculinity.
History and use of the term Edit
The term neutrois was coined by H. A. Burnham in 1995.
- "Definition of neutrois | Dictionary.com". www.dictionary.com. Retrieved 2020-01-09.
- "Neutrois". Gender Construction Kit. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- Mardell, Ashley (2016-11-08). The ABC's of LGBT+. Mango Media Inc. ISBN 9781633534087.
- "Neither Man Nor Woman: Meet the Agender". The Cut. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- "What is Neutrois? - Agender. Neutral-gender. Neither male nor female". Mermaids. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- "Which gender are you: Neutrois or Two-Spirit? | Christopher Silvester". The Critic Magazine. 2020-10-01. Retrieved 2020-11-11.
- Wynne, Griffin (2021-08-25). "Here's What It Means to Be Neutrois". Cosmopolitan. Retrieved 2021-09-07.
- Sparkes, Matthew (2014-02-14). "Facebook sex changes: which one of 50 genders are you?". The Daily Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235.