Newton MRT station
Newton MRT station (NS21/DT11) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station in Singapore. It is an interchange station between the North South MRT Line and Downtown MRT Line. The station was formerly known as Newton Circus. It is one of the stations that is not connected from North South line to Downtown line. The station transit area is public.
|Location||49 Scotts Road|
Singapore 228234 (NSL)
235 Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 229901 (DTL)
|Operated by||SMRT Trains (SMRT Corporation) (North South Line)|
SBS Transit DTL (ComfortDelGro Corporation) (Downtown Line)
|Platforms||4 (2 island platforms)|
|Depth||12 metres (39 ft) (North South Line platforms)|
|Opened||12 December 1987 (North South Line)|
27 December 2015 (Downtown Line)
|Previous names||Newton Circus|
The station was opened on 12 December 1987 and the original station code is N4. Downtown Line station was opened on 27 December 2015, reducing the need to take bus services 171 and 700/700A.
On 5 October 2017, a Platform screen door on the North South Line platform did not work. The door, which is fitted with sensors to detect when the train doors opens, did not open when the train doors opened. SMRT staffs directed passengers to the nearest working door. A similar case happened at the Downtown Line platform at Botanic Gardens station.
On 7 to 8 October, this station was the temporary terminating point for trains travelling from Marina South Pier. This was due to the Bishan tunnel flooding which caused train services to be suspended between Ang Mo Kio and Newton. Normal train services resumed at around 2pm on 8 October.
- A: Balmoral Plaza, Goldbell Towers, Scotts Rd / Bukit Timah Rd, Sheraton Towers Singapore, Alliance Francaise De Singapour, Prudential@Scotts
- B: Cairnhill Community Club, Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (NEA, PUB, Newton Food Centre, Scotts Rd / Cairnhill Rd), Anglo-Chinese School (Junior)
- C: Alliance Francaise De Singapour, Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road), Anglo-Chinese School (Primary), Balmoral Plaza, Barker Road Methodist Church, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
- "Timeline of NSL disruption due to flooded MRT tunnel". Channel NewsAsia. 8 October 2017. Archived from the original on 7 November 2017. Retrieved 11 March 2018.
- Khan, Ahmad (4 February 2018). "Commuters try out X-ray machines, metal detectors in Newton MRT station security exercise". Channel NewsAsia. Archived from the original on 28 January 2019.
- "Commuters to undergo security screening at MRT stations as part of 6-month LTA trial". Channel NewsAsia. 5 November 2018. Archived from the original on 28 January 2019.
Media related to Newton MRT Station at Wikimedia Commons