Nieuwsblad van het Noorden
The Nieuwsblad van het Noorden (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈniuzblɑt fɑn ət ˈnoːrdə(n)];[a] "Newspaper of the North") is a former regional daily newspaper from the city of Groningen in the Netherlands. It was published from 1888 to 2002. In 2002, it was merged with the Groninger Dagblad and the Drentse Courant into the Dagblad van het Noorden, which published its first edition on 2 April 2002.
During the German occupation in World War II, the Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, like many other Dutch newspapers, published anti-Semitic and pro-German articles. In 1944 they refused to hire a chief editor who was a member of the Dutch National Socialist Movement and publication of the newspaper was suspended. At that time, the Dutch National Socialist movement was the only legal party in the Netherlands. The paper reappeared on 26 January 1946, some time after the liberation of the Netherlands, with a circulation of 35,000 copies.
The Nieuwsblad van het Noorden came under criticism in 2000 with the publication of Het Schandaal (The Scandal) by Johan van Gelder, which threw new light on the newspaper's relationship with the German occupiers. The revelations in the book were in stark contrast to the representations of the two owners, the brothers Nico and Jan Abraham Hazewinkel.
From 2 April 2002 the newspaper was succeeded by the Dagblad van het Noorden, a fusion with the Groninger Dagblad and the Drentse Courant, which had previously been publishing together. All were published at that time by Hazewinkel Pers (Press). The Nieuwsblad van het Noorden published at midday; the other two were morning papers, as is the Dagblad van het Noorden.
- In isolation, van is pronounced [vɑn].
- Karin de Mik (1 September 2000). "'Krant was antisemitisch': Boek over geschiedenis van Nieuwsblad van het Noorden". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch).
- "Nieuwsblad van het Noorden samen met Drentse Courant en Groninger Dagblad". Groninger Internet Courant (in Dutch). 9 March 2001.
- "Dagblad van het Noorden". Trouw (in Dutch). 2 October 2001.
- "Dagblad van het Noorden polst lezers". NRC Handelsblad (in Dutch). 2 April 2002.