American actor, director, writer, and producer
George Orson Welles (May 6, 1915 – October 10, 1985) was an American director of movies and the theatre, as well as an actor, screenwriter, broadcaster and producer.
Welles was born in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
In 1938, he performed The War of the Worlds (about an attack on Earth by beings from the planet Mars) on the radio. It was a radio drama (fiction), but many people took it as a newscast.
Welles also made the movie Citizen Kane in 1941. Many movie critics think that this movie is the best movie ever made. His later movies are less liked.
Welles died of a heart attack in Los Angeles, California, aged 70.
- Orson Welles on IMDb
- Orson Welles at the TCM Movie Database
- Orson Welles at the Internet Broadway Database
- Orson Welles Archived 2007-09-28 at the Wayback Machine The Orson Welles OTR Archives
- War Of The Worlds Archived 2006-12-31 at the Wayback Machine history of the War Of The Worlds radio broadcast and additional historical material on War Of The Worlds
- Mercury Theatre on the Air website provides MP3 and Real Audio files of Welles' radio dramas
- Nazi Eyes On Canada, starring Orson Welles Archived 2011-09-29 at the Wayback Machine, 1942 CBC war loan series
- Wellesnet The Orson Welles Web Resource
- The Magnificent Ambersons a site that details the strange saga of Welles' second film
- The Unseen Welles Archived 2001-04-28 at the Wayback Machine a guide to Welles' unfinished and unreleased projects
- The Orson Welles collection at the Lilly Library, Indiana University
- Senses of Cinema: Great Directors Critical Database
- UBU Web's 365 Days Project Archived 2007-08-16 at the Wayback Machine Outtake from Welles' Frozen Peas commercial.
- MovieMaker Magazine Archived 2008-09-05 at the Wayback Machine Article on hoped for eventual release of final Welles movie The Other Side Of The Wind.
- (in French) Orson Welles biography
- Orson Welles' Photo & Gravesite
- Orson Welles and the Bat-Man Archived 2007-02-03 at the Wayback Machine
- New York Times Obituary
- Biographical resources dedicated to Orson Welles Archived 2013-01-29 at the Wayback Machine
- Orson Welles: The Man Who Was Magic
- Orson Welles - The One Man Band (German documentary, 1995)