Palace of Versailles
|Palace of Versailles|
Château de Versailles
|Floor area||67,000 m² (721,182 ft²)|
|Official site of the Château de Versailles|
|Official name||Palace and Park of Versailles|
|Criteria||Cultural: i, ii, vi|
|Inscription||1979 (3rd Session)|
|Buffer zone||9,467 ha|
From 1682, when King Louis XIV moved from Paris and lived in this palace, until the royal family was forced to return to the capital in 1789, the Court of Versailles was the centre of power in the Ancien Régime. Versailles is therefore famous not only as a building, but as a symbol of absolute monarchy.
- Thompson, Ian. The Sun King's Garden: Louis XIV, André Le Nôtre And the Creation of the Gardens of Versailles. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2006 (hardcover, ISBN 1-58234-631-3).
- Official Site Archived 2009-04-29 at the Wayback Machine
- The Hall of Mirrors Restoration Archived 2007-01-09 at the Wayback Machine (in French)
- Pictures of : "Les Grandes Eaux Nocturnes" (in French)
- Palace of Versailles photos
- Visiting information Palace of Versailles Archived 2007-11-21 at the Wayback Machine