There are three genera of pangolin, all of which eat ants and termites. They catch their food using their tongues, and they do not eat anything else. These scaled mammals are one of the most threatened groups of mammals. Unfortunately we know very little of their distribution in West African countries. Evidence of the white bellied pangolin (Phataginus tricuspis) has been found. No evidence of the giant pangolin (Smutsia gigantic) was found. Perhaps the giant pangolin no longer appears in West Africa.
Pangolins have large, hardened, overlapping plate-like scales. The pangolin scales are made of keratin. and are attached to muscles under the skin. and can be moved to point towards predators. Hair grows between the scales and near the rear of the animal.
The pangolin's scaled body is a bit like a pine cone or globe artichoke. It can curl up into a ball when threatened, with its overlapping scales acting like armour while it tucks its face under its tail. The scales are sharp, providing extra defence from predators.
A pangolin's main predators are wild cats, hyenas and humans. A mother pangolin's gestation period is between 120 and 180 days. Young pangolin are born with scales, and they harden by the second day the pangopup is out of the womb.
Pangolins are a critically endangered species and have been hunted and trafficked all across Asia and Africa. They are usually sought for their scales, meat and medical properties. This creature is a host for SARS-CoV-2 and similar viruses.
- Segniagbeto, Gabriel Hoinsoudé; Assou, Délagnon; Agbessi, Eric Koffi G.; Atsri, Honam Komina; d'Cruze, Neil; Auliya, Mark; Fa, Julia E.; Luiselli, Luca (2021). "Insights into the status and distribution of pangolins in Togo (West Africa)". African Journal of Ecology. 59 (2): 342–349. doi:10.1111/aje.12809. S2CID 226342276.
- Yu, Jingyu et al 2015. The first birth and survival of cub in captivity of critically endangered Malayan pangolin (Mariis javanica). Agricultural Science & Technology. 16 (10) – via EBSCO.
- BBC Natural World 5. Pangolins
- *Charlie Campbell and Mong La (November 21, 2016). "Traditional Chinese medical authorities are unable to stop the booming trade in rare animal parts". Time.
- Pangolin: Wildlife summary from the African Wildlife Foundation
- A photograph of a pangolin
- Paul Kuniholm Pangolin Mural
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pholidota.|
|Wikispecies has information on: Pholidota.|