Portia de Rossi
Portia Lee James DeGeneres (born Amanda Lee Rogers; January 31, 1973), known professionally as Portia de Rossi (/
|Portia de Rossi|
de Rossi in February 2007
|Born||Amanda Lee Rogers|
31 January 1973
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
|Spouse(s)||Mel Metcalfe (1996–99; divorced) |
Ellen DeGeneres (m. 2008–present)
|Partner(s)||Francesca Gregorini (2000–2004)|
She was born in Horsham, Victoria, Australia. She is the daughter of Margaret, a medical receptionist, and Barry Rogers. Her father died when she was nine. She grew up in Grovedale, a suburb of Geelong, Victoria. She modelled for print and TV commercials as a child. In 1988, at the age of 15, Rogers adopted the name Portia de Rossi, by which she remains best known; in 2005, she explained that she wanted to reinvent herself, using the given name of Portia, a character from William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice and an Italian last name.
She wrote a book about her battle with anorexia called Unbearable Lightness: A story of loss and gain. At one stage she weighed only 82 lb (37 kg), was eating only 300 calories a day, and taking 20 laxative pills a day.
- London Academy of Media and Film TV. "Australian Actress: Portia de Rossi". Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Portia de Rossi profile". Filmreference.com. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Portia de Rossi on Ellen". Youtube. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- Michele Kort (13 September 2005). "Portia heart and soul". The Advocate.
- "Portia de Rossi's Oprah cry talking about the shocking details of her anorexia and how Ellen's love saved her". dailymail.co.uk. 31 October 2010. Retrieved 15 February 2012.