A portrait is a painting or a photograph of a person's face and its expression. The purpose of a portrait is to show the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the person. For this reason, in photography, a portrait is actually not a snapshot, but a calm image of a person in a still position. A portrait normally shows a person looking directly at the painter or photographer.
Other websites Edit
- National Portrait Gallery of the Smithsonian Institution
- National Portrait Gallery London
- Painting The Century 101 Portrait Masterpieces
- Jeanne Ivy's Self-Portrait Page Archived 2002-03-10 at the Wayback Machine - What Artists Find When They Search in the Mirror.
- Portrait Detectives - Fun interactive introduction to the analysis of portraiture.
- Reportret - A gallery of reconstructions of missing portraits from world history.