chemical compound

Propofol is a drug that is used to put animals (including humans) to sleep. Propofol is injected into a vein. It takes about 40 seconds to work.[1]


Some people use propofol for fun. If they use it a lot they can become addicted. In 2009 the American pop musician Michael Jackson was killed by an overdose of propofol. The propofol was given to Jackson by his doctor Conrad Murray. Murray was sentenced to four years in prison for the involuntary manslaughter of Jackson. This made the public more aware of the dangers of the drug.

A rare side effect of propofol is propofol infusion syndrome. It is most common in children. It often causes death.


  1. "5 Questions That Still Linger After Michael Jackson's Death". HowStuffWorks. 4 October 2010.