Griffiths in November 2007
Richard Thomas Griffiths
31 July 1947
|Died||28 March 2013 (aged 65)|
|Cause of death||Complications from heart surgery|
|Resting place||St. Mary The Virgin Churchyard, Bearly, Warwickshire, England, UK|
|Education||Stockton & Billingham College|
|Alma mater||Manchester School of Theatre|
|Occupation||Actor, Voice actor|
|Known for||Uncle Monty in Withnail and I,|
Vernon Dursley in Harry Potter movie series
|Height||5' 9" (1.75 m)|
Heather Gibson (m. 1980–2013)(his death)
|Awards||Laurence Olivier Award, Drama Desk Award, Outer Critics, Tony Award|
Griffiths is mostly known for his roles as Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter movie series, Uncle Monty in Withnail and I, Henry Crabbe in Pie in the Sky, and as King George II in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. He won a Laurence Olivier Award, a Drama Desk Award, and a Tony Award.
Griffiths was born in Thornaby-on-Tees, North Riding of Yorkshire, England on 31 July 1947. He lived in Manchester, England during his early adulthood. He was raised as Roman Catholic. His parents were both deaf, and he learned sign language at an early age so that he could communicate with them.
During his childhood he tried to run away from home many times. He dropped out of Our Lady & St Bede School in Stockton-on-Tees at age 15. Griffiths was educated at Stockton & Billingham College and at Manchester School of Theatre.
Griffiths' movie roles were in: Gorky Park (1983), Withnail and I (1987), King Ralph (1991), The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991), Guarding Tess (1994) and Sleepy Hollow (1999). Later, he played Harry Potter's cruel uncle Vernon Dursley in the Harry Potter movie series (the Philosopher's Stone, the Chamber of Secrets, the Prisoner of Azkaban, the Order of the Phoenix, and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1.)
In April 2012, Griffiths starred, with Danny DeVito, in a revival of the Neil Simon play The Sunshine Boys. The show was played at the Savoy Theatre from 27 April 2012, opening on 17 May and playing a limited 12-week season until 28 July.
Griffiths was married to Heather Gibson from 1980 until his death in 2013. He had no children.
Griffiths died on 28 March 2013 during heart surgery in Coventry, West Midlands, England, aged 65. Many reactions were posted on Twitter after his death. Some were from Daniel Radcliffe, Warwick Davis, and Richard E. Grant. His funeral took place at Holy Trinity Church in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire on 9 April 2013, with over four hundred mourners, including Daniel Radcliffe, Alan Bennett, Michael Palin, Richard E. Grant, Jack Whitehall and Judi Dench.
- "Richard Griffiths Biography". FilmReference.com. 2008. Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- Laurence, Charles. "Part 3 of Griffiths interview". Saga Magazine. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 11 April 2008.
- Actor wins ovation as he stages attack on phone offender at The Independent.com
- "British actor Richard Griffiths, a stage legend and Harry Potter's Uncle Vernon, dies at 65". Washington Post. 29 March 2013. Archived from the original on 30 March 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Harry Potter actor Richard Griffiths dies". BBC Online. 29 March 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Daniel Radcliffe leads tributes to Richard Griffiths". CBS News. 29 March 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
Media related to Richard Griffiths at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Richard Griffiths|