changing of one's behaviour to assume a role
- To refer to the playing of roles generally, such as in a theatre or educational setting;
- To refer to taking a role of a character or person and acting it out with a partner taking someone else's role;
- To refer to a wide range of games including role-playing video game (RPG), play-by-mail games and more;
- To refer specifically to role-playing games.
- "Definition of Role Playing from the Oxford English Dictionary". Askoxford.com. Archived from the original on 2020-03-12. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Rilstone, Andrew. "Role-playing games: an overview" 1994, Inter*Action #1".