Roll film

any type of spool-wound photographic film protected from white light exposure by a paper backing, as opposed to film which is protected from exposure and wound forward in a cartridge

Roll film is the name for a number of formats for photographic film. Roll film is wound on a spool, as opposed to sheet film which comes in cartridges. The most common formats of roll film are the format 120, and the format 220, which are both used in medium format cameras. Even though the common 35 mm film is also wound on a spool, it is not called roll film.

Roll film 120, empty and full spool.