Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ottawa
The Archdiocese of Ottawa (Latin: Archidioecesis Ottaviensis) is a Catholic archdiocese in Canada. It includes part of the province of Ontario. It is also in charge of three other smaller dioceses: Hearst, Pembroke, and Timmins. Its leader is Archbishop Terrence Prendergast. It became an archdiocese on June 8, 1886.
As of 2004, there are 111 parishes, 177 active diocesan priests, 102 religious priests, and 400,000 Catholics in the Archdiocese of Ottawa.There are also 848 women religious, 147 religious brothers, and 60 permanent deacons.
Diocesan bishops Edit
Here is a list of the bishops and archbishops of Ottawa:
- Joseph-Eugène-Bruno Guigues (1847–1874)
- Joseph-Thomas Duhamel (1874–1909)
- Charles-Hughes Gauthier (1910–1922)
- Joseph-Médard Émard (1922–1927)
- Joseph-Guillaume-Laurent Forbes (1928–1940)
- Alexandre Vachon (1940–1953)
- Marie-Joseph Lemieux (1953–1966)
- Joseph-Aurèle Plourde (1967–1989)
- Marcel André J. Gervais (1989–2007)
- Terrence Prendergast (2007–)
- . Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. 1913.
- Archdiocese of Ottawa page at catholichierarchy.org retrieved July 13, 2006
- Biography at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online - Guigues
- Biography at the Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online - Duhamel