Sakanoue no Tamuramaro
General and shogun
Emperor Kammu gave Tamuramaro the title of shogun. He was given the task of conquering the Ezo tribes, also known as the Emishi (蝦夷征伐, Emishi seibatsu). This were the population who lived in the northern part of Honshū
After his deathEdit
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Sakanoue no Tamuramaro" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 812; Iwao, Seiichi. (2002). Dictionnaire historique du Japon, p. 2329.
- Nussbaum, p. 812.
- Varley, H. Paul. (1980). Jinnō Shōtōki, p. 272.
- Boroff, Nicholas. National Geographic Traveler Japan, p. 156.
- Kyoto University of Foreign Studies: Japan 101 Archived 2011-10-01 at the Wayback Machine
- Titsingh, Isaac. (1834). Annales des empereurs du japon, p. 99.