Wikimedia disambiguation page
Shift may mean:
|The Simple English Wiktionary has a definition for: shift.|
- a movement
- the shift key on a keyboard
- gearshift, the metal rod used to change gears in a car (see also transmission [gearbox])
- the actual components of a gearbox
- in computing, the analogue for literal strings, for example barrel shifter (bit shift)
- in computing, the bit shift is a bitwise operator
- the analogue in mathematics, e.g. a shift operator
- arithmetic shift in telecommunication
- derived meanings of change, such as red shift, Great Vowel Shift, paradigm shift
- a work shift, typically eight hours between set times; see shift work, graveyard shift, swing shift, split shift
- the Green tax shift, a fiscal policy often proposed by Green political parties and conservationist interest groups.
- in music, a shift is a change of level and is similar to but more basic and general than a chord change. On a string instrument a shift is a movement of the left hand in order to play notes that are beyond the range of the previous hand position.
- a simple kind of undergarment, also known as a chemise (smock)
- Shift (sailing), a shift of points of sail.
- Shift the Ape, a character in the Chronicles of Narnia series.
- Shift (magazine), a former Canadian technology and culture magazine.
- an improvised knife used as a weapon, also called a shank or shiv.
| This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Shift.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.